Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reading to the Big Kids: Continuing the Gift of Literature

I loved being read to as a child.  I can look back and remember many of the book my mom and teachers read to me.  It is no surprise that I now love reading to my kids.  I love when the little ones know a book so well that they can fill in the words.   I love when their picture books have a sing-song cadence to them as they become familiar to us all. 
We often think of reading to children as being necessary for children before they can read, but let’s not forget the benefits of reading to an older child well after they can read themselves.  It feeds their minds and souls .  Reading together further establishes our relationship with them.  (If you aren’t convinced check out these articles on  the benefits from Steady Mom and Montessori For Everyone.)  Reading out loud to children models  a powerful message: Mom believes that reading is a valid form of entertainment, an effective way to communicate ideas and a great way to learn.

Even as I am concentrating on getting my budding readers off to a great start with their own reading I continue to read to them.  In true “Tara fashion” I made a list of books to make sure that I read to my son this year for school.  I would encourage any mother-no matter which educational option your family chooses-to think back to your favorite book from childhood and relive it with your child this summer.
My 4th grade teacher Mrs. Allbee read us The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, and I remember our whole class loving the book.  I wondered if it might be a little too much for my 1st grader, but reading it together was one of the highlights of the last year.  At one point he interrupted me and exclaimed “Mom!  I think Edmond is talking to the White Witch!”  It was a great moment and a fun experience for us both.  I am so glad that we got to share it

Good books are full of ideas.  They inspire imagination, creativity and spark conversations.  Books can shape values, moral and character.  What parent does not want to take part in that?

Chances are you too remember a childhood favorite, and you will enjoy reading it to your children too.  Take the time this summer and try it., after a meal, before bed, on vacation or just the next time you hear “I am board; can I watch TV?” 

Great Book Ideas:
The Boxcar Children
Charlotte’s Web
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Ida Early Comes Over the Mountain
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Loin the Witch and the Wardrobe
Mr. Popper’s Penguins
Ramona books
The Indian in the Cupboard
The Little House in the Big Woods

This post is linked up at We are that Family, Mamal Diane and Raising Arrows.




6 comments:

  1. All-Time Favorite : Baby Dear and Lady & the Tramp
    Kindergarten : Rookie Readers
    4th grade Mrs. Van Wyk read TREASURE IN AN OATMEAL BOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Treasure in an Oatmeal Box at a garage sale a few years ago and snatched it up for later. Such a great book!

      Delete
  2. Do you see why I thought of you while at the Usborne national convention?? Great to see others passionate about books and literacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sorry I got your message! (I am terrible with text messaging. If my phone is by me I respond right a way. If I am away from it for the day I am realy bad about getting back to people-as you now know!)

      Delete
  3. Our most recent favorite read aloud is Twice Freed. I love the discussion that comes from sharing books aloud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to mark that one. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete